Gastric Band Injury? – How Much Compensation? – National Cases – Call Us > 0800 699 0079 – £££
Gastric Band Injury
If you want to start a claim for Gastric Band Injury then you should discuss your case with a lawyer specialising in Gastric Band Injury claims such as Tylers Solicitors. This will ensure that your claim has the best chance of success, because we have the competence and professional expertise required to process a claim for Gastric Band Injury.
If you want to proceed with your Gastric Band Injury compensation claim then you should call Tylers Solicitors freephone on 0800 699 0079 and we can then proceed to talk you through your Gastric Band Injury compensation claim. Alternatively, if you are on your mobile phone, you can call 0333 577 0320, which is free to call with free minutes on your mobile phone.
How to Know if You Have a Claim on Your Gastric Band Surgery
Gastric band surgery has become one of the most popular ways to lose weight and enjoy a healthy lifestyle. It is estimated that approximately 10,000 people annually in the UK receive the surgery. As the number of surgeries rise, so do the number of injury claims. Therefore, it is wise to understand how and why a gastric band surgery can go wrong and if you have grounds for a claim.
Risks Involved in Gastric Band Surgery
Every surgery performed carries a degree of risk. In most life of death surgery cases, the risks are taken on so the patient can lead a prosperous life. In the case of gastric band surgery, not all surgeries are given out with the life of death case scenario and therefore the risks can be something that you may want to consider intently.
- Pouch Stretching – Gastric band surgery takes the normal size of your stomach and shrinks it to a much smaller size in order to allow the wearer to lose weight when other methods have failed. Over time the band can stretch due to overeating and therefore it can get back to its original size if the strict dietary guidelines are not adhered to.
- Erosion – Although the materials involved in manufacturing a gastric band tend to repel the risk of erosion, there have been cases where part of the band has eroded causing the stomach to go back to its original size and therefore the patient to gain weight once again.
- Break Down – Some surgeries require the use of staples to hold the band in place and sometimes these staples can fall apart and reverse the procedure entirely.
- Leakage – This is one of the riskiest possibilities of any lap band surgery. If the stomach lining is punctured, harmful acid can leak out and not only cause pain, but can actually deteriorate other organs within the body.
- Deficiencies – The body has to have a certain number of nutrients in order to survive. Most of the nutrients the body takes in is from the foods we eat and when a person is on such a restrictive diet as with the gastric band, they are at risk of a vitamin deficiency if they do not take in enough nutrients throughout the day.
There are few symptoms involved when a gastric band may be causing injury. The most notable is if the band simply fails and the patient is unable to lose weight. The other symptoms to watch for is intense pain or vomiting. If these symptoms are not managed and reduced, the risk of esophageal cancer is a possibility.
Reasons for Failure
Doctors that perform gastric band surgery will often claim that the risk of failure is considerably low, however with the increased popularity of the surgery, there have been many failures that have been counted as successes simply because the symptoms did not seem life threatening. Even if however the symptoms are not life threatening immediately, they could bring about other health issues that are, later on in life.
- Inadequate Aftercare – When people are giving to option of gastric band surgery, they do not often consider the aftercare involved once the band is present. The patient will have to undergo monitoring throughout the life of the band to ensure that it remains in place and without any erosion.
- Lack of Education – Some physicians have been known to hurry patients through without properly preparing them for what the surgery entails. Improper education given to the patient can cause them to misuse the band such as drinking or eating foods that are not recommended or overeating and causing the stomach to stretch.
- Not Pursuing Other Options – The gastric band was originally intended for individuals that have a true problem with weight loss or who have become so obese that their health is an immediate concern. These days, some physicians have been known to suggest the surgery without offering any weight loss advice or helping the patient with non-intrusive weight loss methods. They simply look at the gastric band surgery as a quick fix to an old problem.
Do I Have Grounds for a Claim?
Gastric band surgery is a risky procedure and those that have had it are always at a risk for the band to fail. Gastric band injury claims are on the rise due to lack of education, inadequate aftercare, and simply jumping into the surgery without thinking of any other options. Should you suspect that any of these issues surrounded your gastric band surgery, you likely have a claim, but it is advised that you seek legal help immediately to ensure that you get what you deserve. There is never a reason that you should suffer for someone else’s, even a doctor’s mistake.
If you have suffered Gastric Band Injury as a result of an accident that wasn’t your fault then you may be able to make a claim. Call Tylers today on (freephone): 0800 699 0079 to see if you can make a claim today.